Not only will HomeGrown this week inform listeners on the best way to pick fruit, Jeneen will offer a kitchen course on turning the best of it into jam. Our guest is Los Angeles Times food and wine columnist Russ Parsons, whose book “How to Pick a Peach” offers insights into many facets of gleaning, storing and cooking fruits and vegetables. Then Bob and Jeneen head to Simpsonville where Jeneen prepares blueberry jam from scratch and Bob gets to test it … maybe twice.
Find out more:
- Russ Parsons’ “How to Pick a Peach”
- Review of “How to Pick a Peach”
- Recent writing by Russ Parsons in the L.A. Times
- Read an excerpt from “How to Pick a Peach”
- Food preservation resources at Univ. of Kentucky
- See photos of Jeneen’s jam-making session
Download two recipes from “How to Pick a Peach” – Heirloom Tomato Tart and Zucchini Frittata!