Another Indiana Tax Accounting Error Discovered–This One Involves $205 Million

by Rick Howlett on April 5, 2012

From the Associated Press

The head of Indiana’s Department of Revenue is resigning after state officials found that $205 million in local option income tax revenue was not distributed to counties.

State budget director Adam Horst says department commissioner John Eckart will step down after seven years leading the agency.

Speaking at a Thursday news conference, Horst blamed the problem on a programming error.

The revelation of mishandled revenue follows news late last year that some $320 million in corporate taxes collected over four years had not been transferred to Indiana’s general fund.

The revenue department says the mishandled money will be distributed with interest to the 91 of Indiana’s 92 counties that have local income taxes. An outside audit will be conducted of the agency’s procedures.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: