The Morning Edition Host/Editor anchors one of the most prestigious programs in the WFPL News schedule. The host is responsible for hosting local breaks, anchoring newscasts, conducting interviews live or on tape, and writing some local news for WFPL News and WFPL.org. A portion of this individual’s duties will include editing stories produced by other reporters and working with the reporting team to maintain the station’s Facebook, twitter and tumblr platforms.
The individual we select will have superior hosting capabilities, the ability to host in live, unscripted and flexible situations, and an exceptional understanding of the dynamic sound and texture of live radio in the morning. The host will have a proven ability as an interviewer. This individual should also have a strong understanding of online and social platforms, and associated best practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Host local breaks and segments during Morning Edition.
- Write, produce and deliver newscasts on WFPL’s Morning Edition, as assigned.
- Conduct interviews and cover news events in the field, over telephone, or by other means… live or on-tape.
- Post news and other content online.
- Edit stories for broadcast and online platforms, as well as social media.
- Generate story ideas.
- Attend daily news meetings, and other special meetings, as scheduled.
- Read NPR underwriting credits and other non-news material as assigned.
- Participate in Louisville Public Media events and represent the organization at public and professional functions and conferences.
- Participate in on-air fundraising campaigns.
The Morning Edition Host/Editor works Monday-Friday 4am-1pm. The reporter also participates in the weekend on-call rotation. Hours are subject to change.
College or university degree; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Public radio experience preferred.
Please send resume and links to work samples to WFPL News Director, 619 South 4th St, Louisville Kentucky, 40202 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Louisville Public Media is an equal opportunity employer, an Affirmative Action employer and actively seeks diversity in the workplace.