Gov. Mitch Daniels may have the chance to request another disaster declaration after Indiana officials assess damage to public infrastructure caused by this month’s devastating storms.
Last week, teams of federal, state and local officials found Indiana residents in six counties were eligible for federal relief and he requested a disaster, which was granted by President Obama.
Beginning Tuesday, four counties are being reviewed for public damage, said Greg Hughes, a Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman.
“The infrastructure damage review will be a similar process, there will be a little more contact with local officials at the city and county level to discuss levels of insurance and to get our arms around the dollar figure of the damage,” he said.
Other counties may decide to request a review, and that request comes from local officials, said Hughes. If Indiana as a whole has at least $8.6 million in public costs the state will be eligible for federal assistance, he said.
Hughes said he expects the reviews to take a couple days and may have a report to Daniels shortly after that.