New dividing traffic posts recently installed on the southbound lanes of the Kennedy Bridge had a rough Friday morning.
Kentucky paid for and installed 340 new dividers to help divert drivers from making last-minute cuts to the southbound 64-71 off ramp. The new posts stand at 4-feet, twice the height of posts Indiana installed in the same spots after the Sherman Minton Bridge closed. Those have since been destroyed from communters and now it’s Kentucky’s turn, said Mike Bullock, chief district engineer for the Department of Highways Louisville District.
“They paid for the ones on the front in and they did replacement there for a few weeks and we didn’t participate in that. So we were…I guess…call it stepping up to the plate and doing our part.”
The new posts are more visible and durable but by mid-morning, over a dozen of them had already been toppled, he said.
“The ones that were actually knocked down were really close to the end. The south end of the bridge where that ramp departs in both directions to the 64/71 split right there. Several people likely ran over those and the epoxy probably didn’t have proper cure time,” Bullock said.
The posts will be re-installed and remain in place until resurfacing on the Kennedy Bridge begins, likely in summer, he said. But there’s only a limited supply of replacements and once they run out there is no plans to order more, he said.
Each post costs between $50 to $60.