City Says Occupy Camp Must End Jan. 2

by Devin Katayama on December 16, 2011

Occupy Louisville demonstrators say they’ve been asked to take down their tents by Jan 2nd.

Demonstrators say the city will renew the permit after the first of the year when it expires, but the new permit will not allow tents.

“They really didn’t give us specific reasons why,” said organizer Pam Newman.

The group has planned a special meeting on Sunday to discuss what options demonstrators want to take, said Newman. Demonstrators expect to meet once more with metro officials to discuss alternative locations, none of which include staying overnight.

“Nobody in the city has actually rented that space in about two years,” said Newman.

The city has allowed demonstrators to stay overnight and to keep tents up at their current Founder’s Square location since last month. Prior to that they were allowed to stay overnight at Jefferson Square Park, but they were required to take down tents during the day.

Demonstrators said they’ve since maintained an amicable relationship with city officials.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: