The Indiana State Department of Health has confirmed several cases of Measles in the northeastern part of the state. However, the cases are all family and close contacts of someone who contracted the rare disease while traveling abroad.
All of the people who contracted the disease were unvaccinated, and the Health Department is urging people in the area to check their vaccination records.
Department of Health spokeswoman Amy Bukarica says there is a team in the area investigating the outbreak.
“So that’s basically to track any exposures that have occurred or may have occurred from the initial case,” she says “to others who have contracted Measles who have possibly been exposed to even more individuals.”
The first five cases were confirmed on Tuesday, June 21 and since then two more were confirmed in Noble County and one in Lagrange County. The Department of Health did not know the reason the individuals had not been vaccinated.