Keep Louisville Symphonic Plans Second Concert

by Gabe Bullard on February 14, 2011

The second fundraising concert put on by orchestra musicians apart from the official Louisville orchestra is this week.

The orchestra has filed for Chapter 11, though the musicians are still being paid and the season is continuing as planned. But, management is seeking to cut the number of players, and the musicians say that’s unacceptable. They founded Keep Louisville Symphonic last month to show that a 71-member orchestra could be supported largely through additional fundraising.

KLS held a free show last month and collected about $50 thousand in donations. Their concert Friday will not be free. Musician Kim Tichenor says the money raised will be used to pay overhead for future concerts. The rest of the money is being put in a fund. Tichenor says that money could be used to start a new ensemble if negotiations with the Louisville Orchestra don’t work out, or it could go to the orchestra if they decide to keep the current players on contract.

“It could be the Louisville Orchestra really decides to embrace Keep Louisville Symphonic’s mission, which is great symphonic music, then it’s possible we could support the Louisville Orchestra,” she says.

Orchestra management placed a note in a recent program apologizing to any patrons who donated to KLS thinking their money was going to the orchestra.

Tichenor says KLS isn’t trying to deceive anyone.

“It really was presented by Keep Louisville Symphonic,” she says. “I thought that was made pretty clear at the concert, so I’m sorry there was confusion. But it seemed pretty clear to me.”

They have said repeatedly they want to keep the orchestra active.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: