GOP Chooses Jaworski For Metro Council Seat

by Gabe Bullard on August 9, 2010

The Jefferson County Republican Party has selected Candace Jaworksi as its candidate in the 6th Metro Council District special election.

Jaworski works for the Bisig Impact Group advertising agency. She was chosen by the local GOP in a vote Monday evening. The party had planned to choose its nominee last week, but delayed its selection after receiving several applications at the last minute. In a press release, party officials said Jaworski will make government transparency one of her top issues in the race.

Jaworksi will face former Fraternal Order of Police president David James and U of L professor Deonte Hollowell in the November election. James was nominated by the county Democratic party last month,. Hollowell is an independent and the incumbent. He was appointed to the seat after Councilman George Unseld’s death.

The winner of the special election will serve the remaining two years of the late Councilman George Unseld’s term.

The 6th District includes Old Louisville and parts of the California and Russell neighborhoods, among other areas.

Comments Closed

{ 12 comments }

Curtis Morrison August 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’m hoping that Ken Herndon decides to file as a write-in candidate. Considering he got just a hair under HALF the votes in the last primary election for this seat, it would be a travesty for him not to run.

So far, the other three candidates have been selected by people living outside the 6th District, and I remain unconvinced that David James meets the residency requirement anyway.

gracie August 10, 2010 at 9:45 pm

How can you say that?? There was an opinion done by Walt Kato, that represented the Board of Elections for over 20 years, says that yes he is qualified. And by the way…CURTIS….you don’t live in the 6th district!!
Ken made a promise to the Democrat Party that he would honor their choice. So….you want your friend not to honor his word and have him turn his back on the democrat party. I hope he is a write in as well…..that will seal his fate with the party and that will be his 2nd write in loss, remember when he did that with Mary Lou… and that will make his 4th loss for district 6.
I live in the District and i and my whole neighborhood want David James!!

Curtis Morrison August 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Gracie- Kinda curious you spelled Lawyer Walter Cato, Jr.’s name wrong. David James supporter, Michelle Gallagher, spells it that way too, only she doesn’t live in the district.

gracie August 10, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Its funny you automatically assumed i was a girl. You are mad because Ken did not get the nod, and now you want to tear down a good democrat. I do live in the 6th and i am voting for David James. You do know me and I will not support Ken and his personal agenda.
And to Michele….if you are supporting David….keep up the good work!!

Curtis Morrison August 10, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I confess, I made the assumption that someone named “Gracie” identified as a female. My apologies.

Curtis Morrison August 10, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Also…
1) Ken has never ran a “write in” campaign before.
2) Nor has he lost 4 elections in the 6th District.
Any chance WFPL could step up to the plate and remove these two rumors which we all know to be malicious and false?

gracie August 10, 2010 at 11:52 pm

He did not do a write in against Mary Lou? If he is a write in on the November ballot that will make his 4th time losing at the seat.
1. lost against George Unseld
2. lost during the appointment
3. lost the nomination
and if he does a write in he will lose again and that will make 4.

Curtis Morrison August 11, 2010 at 12:28 am

No he did not do a write-in campaign against Mary Lou Marzian. Funny you brought her up, though, because she was one of the nearly 40 community leaders that went on record for supporting Ken for the last Democratic nomination.

And no, I’m not counting the Metro Council or the Democratic party LD vote as losses in the 6th District as those elections were not held in the district, and no 6th district voters were included in either process. However, it’s probable that Ken has bought 2 non-winning lottery tickets at Scheler’s, just as he’s probably lost a game of pool at Mag Bar, too. So yeah, you could make an argument he’s lost 4 times in the district from those perspectives.

gracie August 11, 2010 at 12:52 am

Ohhh I see…. you are saying he never did a “write in campaign”, however he did do a write in and lost. That is a fact. You might not consider it a loss, but it is. So let me ask you this…..if Ken does not care what metro council, the 9 ld’s and the democrat party thinks, then why did he even go through the process?? All he did was give his word and not keep it. We all have been asked to sign his “write in” petition. We are all tired of Kens petitions!! If Ken wants to do the right thing, run in 2012. But his ego, and yours could not take that…We all know about your underground meetings and raising money against the Democrat Party. Ken will forever be blackballed! I cant wait till he does it and the party finds some kind of loop hole because this was a special process and he is kicked out again. Rumor has it that each person was taped when being asked if they would honor who ever they picked and they would back the winner……cant wait to hear Kens voice say “YES” on the news over and over again!!

Curtis Morrison August 11, 2010 at 1:25 am

He’s never done a write-in. I believe you’re thinking of a primary race. Seriously, stop. With all the threats & defamation- you’re going to make this thread into a bigger story than the actual election itself. And that’s not fair to the voters of the 6th District. Might I recommend you focus on what’s good about the candidate you support?

gracie August 11, 2010 at 2:26 am

What would be great for District 6 voters is Ken keeping his word to support the Democrat nominee, and try to act like a real democrat. I am not worried about David James in this election. David has a great personality and is very educated….he will serve our district well. Quite a few of us from Old Louisville had a great conversation with him at the Wyndotte park last week. So why dont you and Ken try to focus what is good for the 6th district and have integrity and support the democrat that won the nomination.

gracie August 11, 2010 at 1:46 am

I must say….I love google!! Here is a quote from Ken when someone was accusing him of doing a “write in” about 3 weeks ago …..”.I do not have a petition in the field to solicit signatures for a write-in candidacy. That is patently false.”
So then he did not…..when he was trying to get votes…..but when they did not vote for him……now he does!!I How many democrats are going to put their name on the line for Ken now?? How many Democrats are going to risk their political career over this?? Curt I know you guys very well and know how you operate. I know everyone you have talked to trying to go against the democrat nominee, i even know which ones have helped you and with a particular church. Maybe i should go to the democrat party and tell them everything i know….
I will end my night by saying this one more time…..I am voting for David James!!!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: