Yarmuth: Bunning "Holding Country Hostage"

by Rick Howlett on March 1, 2010

By Rick Howlett

U.S. Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky continues to draw criticism from Democrats and others for his refusal to support a $10 billion legislative package to fund various programs, including an extension of unemployment benefits.

Bunning (pictured)┬ásays he’s not opposed to an extension of benefits or other elements of the bill, but wants the measure to be funded from existing stimulus money, instead of adding to the budget deficit.

Democratic Congressman John Yarmuth of Louisville says Bunning is essentially holding the country hostage by blocking the legislation.

“I understand he’s taking a position out of principle, and i do respect that, but the fact remains that tens of thousands of Kentuckians, hundreds of thousands of Americans will be denied unemployment insurance in a time when they are hurting badly, at a time when the country does not offer employment,” Yarmuth said Monday in Louisville.

The Obama administration says the stalled bill also resulted in the temporary layoffs Monday of two thousand federal transporation workers.

Comments Closed

{ 6 comments }

CJ Mayeaux March 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I am a 60 year old man who has worked all my life. This is the first time I have needed unemployment and though I spend 8 hours a day looking for a job, as of yet, I have not found one. If this bill is not passed, my wife and I will be out on the street very shortly.

Glen in Rhode Island March 1, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Dear Residents of Kentucky:

When are you going to turn this arrogant tyrant out of office? Please, I’m asking with true sincerity, Bunning is harmful for America.

MacGruber March 1, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Needed ASAP: Involuntary 72-hour Commitment for (Mental) Evaluation for Senator Bunning. Should not look too bad to the most hated man in America.

Joy Lait March 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Obviously Mr. Bunning has insurance and a paycheck. He really isn’t concerned about the wee little folk he is to be representing. Heartless.

Rawdogg March 2, 2010 at 8:06 am

I’m now fighting eviction in court because my lifeline is being held up. I’ve been looking for a job for over one year.If my benefits are cut, I will walk my ass to Washington, find Senator Bunning, punch him in the mouth, and put him in a rear-naked choke until he passes out.

rodjohn March 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This is absolutely in-humane. Bunning is denying almost a million Americans the essentials for living. Someone put him down, like the old insane dog that he is. I hate being an American when this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: