Bunning Blocks Jobless Benefits Extension

by Gabe Bullard on February 27, 2010

by Gabe Bullard

Listen to NPR’s coverage of this story here.

Kentucky Senator Jim Bunning’s blockage Friday of an extension of jobless benefits is unlikely to be felt by any recipients of those benefits this coming week.

Bunning repeatedly objected to a 10 billion dollar bill that would, among other things, extend certain jobless benefits.

Bunning objected because he didn’t want to run up the national debt, and with the Senate adjourned for the weekend, jobless benefits will expire for hundreds of thousands of unemployed Americans.

The unemployed can still file Monday for their entitled benefits for the week, but unless an extension is passed, those benefits will not be renewed next week.

The program expiring offers several weeks of additional money after other benefits are exhausted. Other unemployment benefits will remain in place.

Congress has traditionally extended unemployment benefits retroactively if they expire.

Comments Closed

{ 12 comments }

moJO February 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

In the impending revolution Bunning and poorly formed bipeds like him will be the first to be stood up against the wall. It would be my greatest pleasure to offer him a blindfold.

chedar February 27, 2010 at 11:51 am

Bunning you ask yourself where do we get the money to fund the unemployment extension that is needed by the unemployed. We can shutdown your charitable” scam or tax exempt status that you set up for yourself. This will help the very needy people who need their unemployment compensation. You scumbag.

Devider440 February 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Bunning objected because he didn’t want to run up the national debt ? give me a break, We need this guy to live the life of the movie Trading Places, these silver spoon people have no clue about having a need for money they only know how to dictate and have control over less fortunate, believe me they will burn in hell. well, all of you that are going to loose your houses, go camp on his lawn, loose your car, knock on his door and keep asking for a ride, or better yet, why dont we ask this guy, if your so concerned about the national debt and so concerned about the people, take 30 days and switch lives with one of us — anyone of us and then honestly see if he would stop an unemployment extension, Hey Bunning, are you forgetting we are in this predicament because of the government NOW BAIL US OUT YOU JERK!!!

Devider440 February 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm

After reading more about Bunning Check this statement out:

Aware of the gravity of the situation for his constituents, Illinois Senator Dick Durbin repeatedly begged Bunning to drop his objection, reminding him that he had bragged about Congress’ previous extension, which passed 98-0. But the Kentuckian reportedly responded: “Tough sh*t.”

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) has vowed to prevent the Senate from extending any other expiring laws until it extends unemployment benefits and subsidized health insurance…

This clown also repeatedly complained that he had been missing the Kentucky basketball game and this was wasting his time he was not voting for it no matter what.

Dave February 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

The revolution will be televised. I’ll be one of the guys that lost his house and camped out on Bunning’s lawn.

Jerry February 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Way to go……. Stick it to the American people who need help the most…… You are a piece of crap, Douchebag!!!

Pit Bull February 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I’m burning all my Jim Bunning baseball cards!

Ooops!

I don’t have any Jim Bunning baseball cards, I used
them to make my bicycle sound like a motorcycle in ’66.

Jim Bunning:
A loser on the mound.
A loser as a collectible.
And the biggest loser on the hill!

Hard Working Michiganian February 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

We are a hard working family, but unfortuantely my husband lost his job in the auto industry. He has been looking for jobs in MI—a futile case—and going back to school to further his education. We need unemployment to sustain us as many do. Also, the government gave the crooked banks a bailout—and they’re not going to repay it. With unemployment sustainbility, it will be repaid once the recipients get jobs. P.S. You’re destroying this country and I hope my Kentucky friends boot you out of office!

jeff February 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I have 2 unemployment checks left yet, then I’m homeless. I agree with everyone that the decision to suddenly cry “deficit” on this one a slap in the face and a wakeup call to anyone that still believes the U.S. Gov is “for the people by the people”. It is clearly “for the wealthy and against the people”.
America (It seems) is eager and willing to borrow and spend trillions on bailouts, pork projects, and 2 wars as long as the wealthy can get wealthier from it.
Sadly, there is no kickbacks or profit to be made in unemployment benefits.

Jim Woodward February 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

It is unbelievable that an adult with any ehtical standards would be so calous. This is the problem with the rich folks who make up the Republican Party. They would let everyone die just to keep their money. My Bible says something about folks like this. Senator, you might look it up. Shame on you, soon to be ex-Senator.

wayne netter February 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Contact info to let Bunning hear about it!

Washington, D.C.
316 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Main: 202.224.4343
Fax: 202.228.1373

Adam February 28, 2010 at 1:49 am

OMG I just found out this today reading about the earthquake in Chile. I am guessing that now more money will go to other countries to help them recover. But, this idiot is worried about the Defecit. Seriously, everyone blames Obama Shoot he is actually the only president I have seen that is actually trying to help the American struggling people. I have been out of work what will be a year from a bank that got billions of dollars from this so called stimilus package. Seriously WTF. this money should of been given to the American people to rebuild the economy. But, no screw the american people let’s give the money to GM. Ford Chrylser or big banks ya that is the ticket. I am tired of these people in congress and in the senate. If noone gets these checks I see over a million workers walking to the capital to demand money.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }