Demonstrators Sit In At Humana

by Gabe Bullard on October 29, 2009

sit in2A group of single-payer healthcare advocates is camped out in the lobby of the Humana building in Louisville.

More than 20 protesters, including Carla Wallace, entered the building at mid-morning.

“We’ll stay here. I guess we’ll just stay overnight. I think this is a life and death issue,” she says. “We want Humana and all the healthcare providers in this country to stop cutting people off who have pre-existing conditions, to stop denying care to the sickest people among us, and to make health care affordable and available for everyone.”

Humana Spokesperson Jim Turner says the group is welcome to stay in the lobby as long as they are peaceful.

Sit In 1

“The folks who come out and demonstrate like this here in Louisville are always very peaceful and respectful and we’ve seen that even in the lobby,” he says.

Turner says Humana also wants to see changes made to the nation’s health care system, but did not elaborate.

Similar protests have led to more than 70 arrests nationwide over the past several months.

Comments Closed

{ 14 comments }

Curtis Morrison October 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Um, did Turner say they are going to let them stay in the lobby indefinitely? Because I was thinking of taking some peeps down there tonight after midnight for a guerilla rave. But we’ll keep it peaceful.

Zach Pendleton October 31, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Bro, we should organize a party inside of Humana.

I don’t know if you were just kidding but I think it would be a badass idea.

I’m down, hit me up if you want to help.

-Pendletron@gmail.com

Barb Adams October 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I would like to thank all my brothers and sisters for standing up or sitting down for me today in the battle for health care for all Americans.

Buddy October 30, 2009 at 3:27 pm

…Beats the protest you guys had in Baltimore, a sad turn out,
your leader lied to security and the police telling them you were satisfied with your protest and were going to do 2 rounds, around the building and leave, but your crew tried to “bust” in to the back entrance and start chanting…. they were ready for you. after they (with most respect) told your crew that this was not an insurance company building but a building of many different offices you (your leader) offered your own people a choice… get arrested by sitting down or leave. the one that claims she will stay in jail was the first one to cry her eyes out before the officer even cuffed her. It was evident by an outside observer that your rally was about media coverage, the signs you had were not spelled right and when some one approached you to try to talk your crew over shouted them.

in short, use spell check on your signs….
Don’t lie to the people you are trying to protest…
and open your eyes to peple who would normally be for your protest but you made sure to alienate them…

Oh… and next time you may want to do something like this, make sure you are at the right place and you do more then 45 minuets of protest

Being at the right place is the key so do not forget that.

and if you are wondering, I am one person that desperately needs medical coverage… Pre-Existing conditions suck.

Art Coates October 29, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I do not deny that the health care system needs to be fixed, but I have not heard anyone in the mainstream media even touch on what has broken it. Perhaps we should investigate this further before we accept any prepackaged “solutions” – Also, sitting in at Humana because people are denied care is akin to sitting in at a McDonalds because there are hungry people.

Carol Burton October 30, 2009 at 12:23 am

In answer to what broke it, it is a series of events too long to deal with here. It began with a historical accident in WWII when the federal government froze wages to prevent companies from stealing workers from other companies. The companies got around that by offering benefits including heath insurance. What began as a service to employees has evolved and changed over the years into profit, greed and messed up priorities. What you may not understand is that your healthcare is being rationed right now. Even though you have “good” insurance, every time your doctor prescribes something different than what he feels is best because he knows your insurance won’t cover that med, your healthcare is being rationed. There are people every day who despite having “good” insurance get sick and have to spend down their assets until they are so poor they qualify for medicaid just so they can get the care they need because their insurance company won’t cover what they need. That is just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds more stories and reasons for the desperate need for change where those came from. In one way or another every one of us pays for our messed up healthcare system, make no mistake about that.

Art Coates October 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I appreciate you response, however I feel that healthcare’s issues began even before WWII with the changes that were made to protect rich doctors and their richer patients in the 19th century from competing with health lodges and co-ops, many of which were largely “lower class” immigrant and minority groups. Completely agree that there are too many issues to list, as the AMA began lobbying and rationing in the late 1800’s. Personally, I must say I see little hope in the proposals of today. One major issue I see with health care is that the insurance companies and medicare/medicaid are the “consumer” – not the patient. This causes gross negligence in care while doctor’s resources are diverted to billing and cost control. If I were to rationally choose to opt out of this broken model and pay for my care directly, I am priced out of the market. The vendors which will dispense the new system will pocket the tax money while providing, at best, care on par with what is available today – there are no incentives to improve the status quo of care. Fraudulent claims under the new system will also be on-par or worse than Medicare – again, why should fraud be targeted when no one really cares where “some” the money goes as long as they get reduced price (or “free”) care for themselves. Greed? Yes, it played a factor, but no one man or even a government made of men, are exempt from greed nor the seemingly altruistic schemes with which they will attempt to disguise their greed.

Jack November 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I think there is one thing everyone is missing…. Humana like all other places is a business. Business’s are established in order to make money. If someone doesn’t like the business then do not shop there. If someone has a different idea then create your own business.

As far as your protest is concerned, I am proud that protesters have a lack of regard and decency. Urinating in cups that violate health codes and laws and yet its health you seek to change. Human welcomed the protesters into their building and were disrespected by the protesters. How great is that? Humana even let protesters stay the night as long as they did not interfere with daily BUSINESS routines.

Linda Mitchell October 29, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Greed is what has broken it. That much is very obvious. We have the potential to have the best health care in the world, but that cannot happen when insurance companies are determining available services based on profit. Health insurance corporations have one obligation and that is to make as much profit as possible for the owners. That means charge as much as possible and pay out as little as possible.

Diepiriye Kuku October 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm

It’s very encouraging to see folks from home standing up! I live in India now and follow this debate from afar. As an American abroad, I usually have better access to care than those living back home, save for the rich. My healthcare now even includes optical and dental care- something that most Americans have not even demanded. We must have a public option, as it is the only way to ensure that ‘the people’ have access to quality care. Few communities know this better than Louisville, where Humana and other sit, or in places like Alabama, where 90% of coverage comes from one company. The market- the unabated free market- is actually killing us.

anna October 29, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Thank you for sitting in and standing up for HEALTHCARE FOR ALL. God bless all of you.

Ray October 30, 2009 at 12:05 am

Health Care Reform with a public option is a must to control future costs and the advancement of medicine in the US. Rather than just treating the symptoms of illness the American tax payer will demand the elimination of disease. Thus reducing of taxes.

Our present setup of private corporations of Profits before Patients will continue the practice of treating disease rather than curing.

There is no profit in medicine unless you are sick.

Margaret October 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm

To Buddy,
I assume personal responsibility for the one sign containing a mispelled word. The word is” People”, I hurried and wrote ,”Poeple” . If you were at the demonstration, you should and could have approached and informed me , immediately. The inaccuracy would have been corrected post haste.
One Nation
One People
One Payer Now.
Assuming personal responsibility is a behavior the corporate profiteers of pain ,and many of our elected representatives seem to have forgotten to employ as they discharge their sworn duty to serve the citizens of the nation “for the general welfare” of their consituents..
As for the spell check comment; I didn not use spell check as I prepared the sign in my vehicle, on site at the action.
Please accept any offense to your high literary standard as unintentioned. I stand corrected. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
The misssion of a group of people untied in solidarity for justice in medical care delivered in The United Staes of America, is far more important than one mispelled word; hand written , by one participant on the spur of the moment.
Perhaps you can find some more nits to pick while others try to do something about the appalling state in quality and access of medical care, denied more quickly than delivered to your fellow Americans.
Can you say ,we ,as a nation , be proud of being the last hold out in the industrialized,civilized world to recognise medical care as a civil and human right for all thier citizens.? I will check sources, but I think ,during the writing an subsequent adoption of the current Iraqi Constitution American advisors pushed for that( right) to be included. How can this be good for the people we would save and not good for those at home?Please let me know if I’m wrong. I want to know and live truth.
Hope that further myth busting can bring a topic too long treated as taboo into the light at last.** We do not have the best medical care delivery system in the world.** If one does does not accept that premise, the urgent need for reform remains a mystery , and those proposing fundamental systemic are social suspect.
Consider joining the group in an active role, bringing your unique insight and experience to clean up a toxic mess.
All individuls with a need for medical care;and not receiving that care, are a primary motivator in the Mobilization For Health Care effort. You did mention difficulty regarding a pre-existing condtion.
This method of response does not have “spell check” so ,hope I passed.

Zach Pendleton October 31, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Who is ready for round two?
I’m very proud that I could help those who stayed the 24 hours inside the lobby.

That was just the beginning though. It’s going to take constant sit-ins, parties inside the lobby, ect. to really get our message of SINGLE-PAYER healthcare out there.

Stay tuned =]

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: