Jury Selection Continues In Stinson Case

by Gabe Bullard on September 1, 2009

Jury selection continues in the case of former Pleasure Ridge Park High School football coach Jason Stinson.

Stinson’s trial for reckless homicide and wanton endangerment in the death of player Max Gilpin began Monday. Gilpin died three days after collapsing from heat stroke during a practice last year.

Prosecutor Jonathan Heck began his questioning of the nearly 120 person jury pool by asking if anyone had not heard of the case.

“Usually the question is ‘Who has a heard about a case, either from friends, family, sometimes the media?’ Usually, even in otherwise big cases a few hands go up here and there, because quite frankly not a lot of people read the newspaper,” he said. “In this situation, we’re going in the opposite direction and I believe the question yesterday was ‘Who hasn’t heard about this case?’ That is the case involving defendant Jason Stinson and the alleged victim Max Gilpin.”

Only about five jurors said they were not familiar with the case. Opening arguments are expected Thursday.

Earlier Tuesday Judge Susan Schultz Gibson denied the prosecution’s request for a delay in the trial. The motion came after Gibson declined to reconsider her exclusion of some one thousand pages of potential evidence.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: