Louisville’s Department for Public Health and Wellness has moved up its start date on distribution of seasonal flu shots by three weeks this year in preparation for the upcoming H1N1 vaccine. Spokesperson Dave Langdon says the department will begin offering 25-dollar flu shots and nasal sprays September 14th.
“We’re beginning our flu shots about three weeks earlier,” says Langon. “The reason for that is we want to be ready to also start giving the shots against the H1N1 virus – the swine flu virus – when that vaccine becomes available.”
He says starting in mid-to-late October, they’ll have the H1N1 vaccine to distribute, which will mean two separate shots at two different times for each patient, and a logistical challenge for the health department.
“It’s going to be a lot of running around in terms of people, it’s going to put a strain on the public health and the health care system,” says Langdon, “so if we can begin the process early, if people can come in a little earlier to get their regular flu shots, I think it would help both us on the distribution end, and it would also help folks on the receiving end.”
Langdon says it is possible for patients to get the seasonal flu shot and the first H1N1 shot at the same time, but the H1N1 booster shot will have to come a few weeks later.
Walk-in Clinics for Regular Seasonal Flu
- 9/14/09 – Southwest Government Center – 7219 Dixie Highway
- 9/15/09 – East Government Center – 200 Juneau Dr.
- 9/16/09 – Central Government Center – 7201 Outer Loop
- 9/17/09 – Newburg Community Center – 4810 Exeter Ave.
- 9/18/09 – Department of Public Health and Wellness – 400 E Gray St.
- 9/21/09 – NIA Center – 2900 W Broadway
- 9/22/09 – East Government Center – 200 Juneau Dr.
- 9/23/09 – Southwest Government Center – 7219 Dixie Highway
- 9/24/09 – Central Government Center – 7201 Outer Loop
- 9/28/09 – NIA Center – 2900 W Broadway
- 9/29/09 – Newburg Community Center – 4810 Exeter Ave.
- 9/30/09 – Department of Public Health and Wellness – 400 E Gray St.
- 10/18/09 – Louisville Slugger Field – 401 E. Main Street
Flu Shots by Appointment (beginning October 5th)
- Dixie Health Clinic – 7219 Dixie Highway
- East Neighborhood Place Health Clinic – 810 Barret Ave.
- Middletown Health Clinic – 200 Juneau Dr.
- Newburg Health Center – 4810 Exeter Avenue