Louisville's Tim Krekel Dies At 58

by Rick Howlett on June 24, 2009

Local musician and songwriter Tim Krekel has died after a brief illness. He was 58.     tim-krekel1

Krekel was based in his hometown of Louisville but received national acclaim for his solo work, which included nine albums, and collaborations with other musicians. His songs were recorded by artists such as Delbert McClinton, Martina McBride, Patty Loveless, Lonnie Mack and B.J.Thomas.

His career also included stints as guitarist in Jimmy Buffett’s band in the 1970s and 80s.

Funeral arrangements were incomplete Wednesday afternoon.

A musical tribute to Tim Krekel can be heard Thursday on our sister station, 91.9 WFPK.

(Photo from www.myspace.com/timkrekel)

Comments Closed

{ 9 comments }

Nancy Brown June 24, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Tim was a wonderful person as well as a great songwriter, guitar player, and singer. He was so warm and kind that you couldn’t help but love him. Louisville is going to miss one of its favorite sons.

Al Vest June 24, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I had been trying to get in touch with Tim through Facebook in the last several days. I knew that he had a tumor removed from his stomach and had read that he was doing well. I am very saddened to hear of his passing. Tim used to live next door to my family on Essex Rd. I remember coming out of the house and could hear his band (Dusty ) practicing. To this day a good friend of mine and myself (who are muscians)still play one of the songs Tim had written. The song was called, Hopin ( Someday things might change). How true that title is. We lost a good one.

jeff mcallister June 24, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Godspeed,Tim…and Thank You .

jeff mcallister June 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

God Bless and Thank You, Tim……….

Mike Gibson June 25, 2009 at 8:22 am

Tim was one of us that made the big time and we all were proud to have met him, watched him perform and had the blessing of his friendship. You will be missed Mr. Tim

Mike Gibson June 25, 2009 at 8:24 am

Tim was one that made the big time and we all were proud to have met him, watched him perform and had the blessing of his friendship. You will be missed Mr. Tim

Greg Middleton June 25, 2009 at 9:21 am

Thanks for your music Tim. You’ll be greatly missed.

Erin Reesor June 25, 2009 at 9:58 am

I am shocked and saddened by this loss. I was first introduced to Tim’s music while working for Blue Sky Kentucky – This morning, I’m remembering the Blue Sky Jamfest (2002) Saturday night Jam featuring Los Lobos, Tim Krekel, Sam Bush & Jerry Douglas all on stage together… what a magical moment… Kentucky has lost a brilliant songwriter and artist.

Juergen Tossmann June 25, 2009 at 10:00 am

I remember the first time I met Tim. We were taping LIVE AT BUNBURY THEATRE. I knew the moment I shook his hand that this was some special individual. His gift of engagement and his amazing talent will be missed forever. It will take a while for Louisville to realize that we’ve lost a major asset. I hope WFPK can dig up the recording from Live at Bunbury. It should be played as Tim was in unique form.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: