Debris Situation More Severe Than Expected

by Gabe Bullard on April 7, 2009

January’s ice storm left more debris on the ground than Metro Government officials had previously estimated.

Mayor’s spokesperson Kerri Richardson says more crews may be needed to pick up all of the fallen limbs and trees.

“Compared to the windstorm last fall, over 90 days we picked up about 39 hundred truckloads of materials,” she says. “We are not 90 days out from the winter ice storm and already we’ve picked up ten thousand truckloads.”

There are currently 24 city crews and additional private contractors collecting debris. Richardson says the city is prepared to expand the crews to make sure all of the debris is collected by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, the city’s three debris drop-off sites will be open this Saturday but closed for Easter Sunday.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: