Officials Urge Fire Safety As Blackout Continues

by Rick Howlett on January 29, 2009

Fire officials in Louisville say there’s been a spike in structure fires since the ice storm struck the area Tuesday night.

McMahan Fire District Chief Paul Barth says many of those blazes have been in suburban homes that have lost electricity.

“Some of these fires can be attributed to fireplace fire. folks are trying to use alternate heat sources to heat their homes, because they don’t have power. if you haven’t¬† had your fireplace inspected, that could be a source of fire in your home,” Barth said.

Officials say people who are use generators for electricity should make sure they’re placed¬†outdoors, at least 10 feet away from dwellings, to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Comments Closed

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: