Hurricane Ike in Kentucky and Indiana?

by Laura Ellis on September 15, 2008

What was your storm experience? What are things like in your neighborhood now? Comment below to share your story, and click here to share your pictures.

Robin Fisher, State of Affairs Producer: I guess until yesterday I would have never believed a hurricane in Texas could wreak such havoc in Kentucky and Indiana. As I was leaving Indianapolis yesterday after a weekend stay I heard the “wind warning” on the radio. I thought two things 1) Wind Warning – I’ve never heard of such a thing and 2) I’m driving out of the rain so I’ll have some smooth sailing. Well, I now know what they really mean by “wind warning” and the farther south I got the worse the wind blew. It was the most stressful two hour drive I’ve ever experienced. Fortunately I was able to keep the car on the road and keep heading home. I was lucky, there were no trees in the road but I did see a big one go down just south of Seymour.

When I got home our power was out and the big trees in my neighborhood of Norwood were swaying and trying their best to stay upright. There were several trees down and blocking roads, but no houses appeared to be damaged. Like most people in area, we are without power. But we’re safe, our families are safe, the dogs are safe, and we’re just going to hunker down for what could be a long wait for power.

Tuesday Update From Robin: It’s Tuesday and we are still without power, but we’re okay. My husband brought dinner home from a local grocer last night and we ate by camplight. It’s nice and cool out and the house got down right chilly last night. You can hear the loud hum of generators throughout the neighborhood, and they must be really loud because it isn’t coming from any of the houses close to us. Driving home from work last night was a challenge with lights out and people unsure whether or not to trust their fellow drivers at intersections. I didn’t see any LMPD officers, but I do think they are supposed to be at major intersections throughout the city. So, how did you survive the night?

Wednesday and still dark: We’re still dark in Norwood as of Wednesday morning, but things are looking up in the area. The traffic lights are working at Shelbyville Road and New LaGrange (and all the intersections by Oxmoor) and at New LaGrange and Washburn. Last night we made our first ice foray, and I must say I was surprised that 2 days after the wind we still had to drive around before we found a bag. Just a tip if you are still looking – Whole Foods has ice. Power or no power – tonight is purge the refridgerator night. This might actually teach us to be more frugal shoppers.

Thursday and all back to normal: Power’s up! The power in the Norwood neighborhood was restored about 7:10 last night. We are certainly happy (and unbelievably our freezer food was still frozen – but the fridge was a loss) but I’m sorry for every else who is still in the dark. Hang in there – I think light is on the way.

Laura Ellis, State of Affairs Assistant: I live in Jeffersonville, and I’m embarrassed to admit I had no idea what was going on for most of yesterday. I knew it was windy, but I was inside, in a room with the shades drawn, so I didn’t realize how bad it was. At around 4, I let the dogs out and was, of course, shocked at the strength of the wind and the amount of leaves and tree limbs on the ground.

We needed dinner, but decided to try to find an open restaurant instead of grocery shopping, since we weren’t sure if our power would stay on. It looked like all the businesses on Lewis & Clark Blvd. in Clarksville were without power. The mall was closed, and the Greentree 10 movie sign was warped and bent.

We did find food; the restaurants and stores on Veterans Parkway were open (and packed!). We were one of the lucky ones who did not lose power. For the next few days, we expect to be a hot water and phone-charging waystation for friends and family. We never did get groceries, but our freezer is stocked – we’re storing food for my mother-in-law, who had just gone grocery shopping when she lost power to her home in Clarksville.


These pictures were submitted by listener Ellen Raine, who was hiking Sunday on the Levee Trail, a part of Riverview Park in southern Louisville, near Mike Linnig’s (click to enlarge):

This shot, also by Ellen, was taken at 4th Street Live:

Here are some pictures taken by WFPL’s Gabe Bullard, on and around Cherokee Road:

Here’s a picture from Classical 90.5 host Daniel Gilliam. His brother snapped this in St. Matthews:

Our receptionist Janelle Rae captured some of the damage in Marengo, Indiana:

Melissa Faurest took this picture of a fallen tree in the Highlands, and reports that it wasn’t long before skateboarders took advantage of the uprooted sidewalk:

Thanks to Craig Hubbuch for sending us these ominous-looking shots of the Highlands:


What was your storm experience? What are things like in your neighborhood now? Comment below to share your story, and click here to share your pictures.

Comments Closed


Raj Ahuja, WFPL News Intern September 15, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I live on E. Market and experienced the full brunt of the winds. It was nearly impossible to open the door and get outside at times (yes I wanted to go outside during typhoon like winds, call it morbid curiosity, but the visual experience just wasn’t complete enough for me). Anyway, once outside it took every ounce of strength to keep from being physically moved against my will. I moved quickly back inside and warned everyone in my building to move their cars inside the garage so as to avoid damage by circulating debris and/or falling trees. The reason I even went out in the first place was because my power was out and could no longer watch NFL Sunday football; I was not happy about this.

It was about 3pm when the winds abated and nothing weather related seemed to prove dangerous when outside. Damage to the building and individual units was minimal (luckily!). So still without power, football, and food (just ran out of bread and clean dishes), the guys in my building and I walked to a local sports bar, which happed to have power, to get our Sunday man fix. Along the way we saw down trees and street signs, which seemed to have been moved to the sidelines so as to permit freer flow of traffic. Things seemed somewhat normal but not really. At the sports bar we got our fill of everything from which the winds tried to keep us. There is a God!

At about 8p, back at the building, we’re still without power, somewhat bored and now it’s dinner time. We called around to see what restaurants were open and with power. We found a place on Bardstown and enjoyed a night with great food, humor, and air conditioning. Some of us contemplated getting hotel rooms for the night as our building was unbearably hot; some windows were difficult to open (luckily I didn’t have this problem). Anyway, power came back up at some point over night as I woke up to sound of my cell phone alarm and the air conditioning.

Amy Miller, Louisville Public Media Foundation Relations Officer September 16, 2008 at 10:37 am

My husband and I decided the worst of the storm was over on Sunday around 2:00 and put the kids in the car to head to the grocery. We had no idea how bad the damage was as we headed out the door, but just a block from our house in the Highlands we found trees littering the road. We kept driving and zigzagged around the neighborhood trying to find a street that was clear of trees and downed power lines.

Once we hit Lexington Road I noticed a flash of light and asked my husband if he saw it. He thought it was an on-coming car. Cars don’t emit puffs of smoke, I realized as I headed straight into a drooping power line. I saw the line just as my windshield almost made contact and swerved just in time. The cars behind me did the same. We decided to keep going, thinking the grocery store would be safer than our house.

Thankfully, we returned home safely to one of the few houses with power in town. Our neighbors across the street weren’t so lucky. I stayed home with the kids yesterday and had a spontaneous play group for all parents in the neighborhood without power. They came and did laundry, had lunch, and charged their cell phones.

At this point, I’m just running up my cell minutes trying to reach friends and family who need help.

Marie Moyes September 18, 2008 at 9:41 am

Here is what Britt and I are and have been dealing with. No power, running but yellow water in the kitchen and bath, no a/c with his allergies and my asthma, but cool winds are nice, however our neighborhood smells since everyone put out the bad fridge items. We lost a lot of food, since our fridge while relatively new, didn’t really do a good job of holding the cold in like others had. Probably a 150.00- we are turning in a list to the insurance agency but are paranoid they will drop us even though we only had one claim in two years for a cracked windsheild- so that seems off to me that we pay for coverage but can’t use it for fear of losing it….

Anyways our Wind Event-ure began Sunday with everyone else…
He went to a gun show and I stayed home. We knew the winds were coming and I had only thought it would be a great day to air out the house. When it started up, I casually observed from the inside and really didn’t begin to worry until I realised my pets were acting off. Our normally tough cat Shadow who sister to sweet and loving Sassy whom she generally does not like was sitting side by side watching me. So I knew something was up, my cats don’t normally tolerate each other that much. Plus the rabbits we have in our smaller room, had decided they were not leaving the safety of their hidey hole for nothing and ironically…rabbits are a fairly good indicator of bad weather coming, snow or otherwise, they slow their activities down when it is going to rain sleet or snow like clockwork, but for the winds, I would have never guessed the same thing.

I watched the trees in the back yard shake and split like some invisible child was trying to rip them up by the roots like a weed in a garden. Right now we’ve got one monstrous broken branch hanging above our garage from the neighbors yard, and the other neighbors tree is tilted over into our yard but not quite broken.

So Britt called me at 1.30pm Sunday from the gunshow to let me know he was on his way home. Turned out a big steel barrel just challenged him to a duel on the parking lot when they were leaving. He’s a big guy, no worries, he stood the wayward barrel upright and kept it from hitting his truck and moved on but he could tell something was wrong with the winds when he called me. The winds tore the hat off his head and he watched it come back to him in an almost perfect arc.

I generally don’t get frightened by the winds, I was a year old in 74, and I still remember the tornados (it really imprinted on me as my earliest memory). But I found myself asking Britt if he would come home early, cause I was pretty sure the forest behind the house was moving into our yard and that the back porch roof was about to become a pergola.

Since then, its been a clean up effort, we are still without power and calls to Duke Energy have given us several different lights on times that have yet to be fulfilled.

The upside, no one was hurt, we have hot water since we have a gas oven and water heater and ironically enough, despite the yellow water in the bathroom and kitchen, the filtered shower head I put in last year is keeping that water free and clear so thats a bonus- but I am not drinking it.

The childish side of my is upset that I missed my three favorite shows this week so far but all in all, I’ll get over it….I just want my electricity back!

Marie Moyes September 19, 2008 at 9:17 am

Just wanted to report in, we got our electricity back last night and came home to our cats staring at the TV. I really hope everyone else gets their power back on soon, hang in there!

It was fantastic!


Laura Ellis September 22, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Marie, I’m glad to hear your power is back on! From what people have been saying it sounds like most people have electricity again, except for a few pockets in St. Matthew’s and Lyndon…

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: